What I'm Seeing Now

head_left_image

Replacing The Kitchen Sink - With A Gas Stove!

This is the case of the homeowner re-modeler replacing the kitchen sink - with a gas stove!

Apparently they wanted the sink elsewhere.  And there was one.  Not well done, but there was a kitchen sink.  The kitchen design company did not plan this kitchen!

But, the convenient cavity in the Formica counter top and splash block  could not be resisted for the installation of the new stove top!

Why do I highlight the Formica counter top and splash block?

Because a gas cook top should not be so close to plastic and pressed wood!

This installation had not been there very long.

Much longer and a problem could not have been avoided.

Plastic is not made to take such high heat.

Wood is not made to take such high heat.

So far this cook top had avoided causing a fire, but that is just a matter of time I think.

While the cook top had not been there for very long, it was very obvious the kitchen exhaust fan had!

It was so clogged and goopy with grease that the grease was virtually dripping off the parts inside!  Yummie!

My recommendation:  smart is smart and not smart is not smart.  And just slapping a cook top into any location is not smart.  Heat does what heat does, and physics are physics!  The heat of the gas flame on a cook top is +500F.  Fortunately Formica takes a while to ignite into flames.  But most plastics burn around 500F.  So literally, here, in this installation, this kitchen re-modeler is playing with fire!

 

 

Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC  

Based in Bristow, serving all of Northern Virginia.

Office (703) 330-6388   Cell (703) 585-7560

www.jaymarinspect.com


Comment balloon 15 commentsJay Markanich • January 25 2016 03:27AM

Comments

I saw something similar here in Florida.

Posted by Peter Mohylsky, Your Bucket List Broker Along Scenic 30A (BETTER HOMES AND GARDENS REAL ESTATE) over 2 years ago

So, Peter, apparently the re-modeler there moved here!

Posted by Jay Markanich, Home Inspector - servicing all Northern Virginia (Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC) over 2 years ago

First of all I shivered at the thought of the goop in the fan, and then laughed at the "Yummie!"  Ick.

Yes, stovetops need to be placed where they are not going to set the counter on fire. Fire 101.

Posted by Kat Palmiotti, The House Kat (Grand Lux Realty, 914-419-0270, kat@thehousekat.com) over 2 years ago

Pretty much that Kat!  And indeed, yummie.

Posted by Jay Markanich, Home Inspector - servicing all Northern Virginia (Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC) over 2 years ago

Oh yes, that is dumb.  Very dumb.  I never really thought abou that before.  but, then again, I have granite. behind the stove.

Posted by Women of Westchester Working Together, Women helping Women get ahead (Women of Westchester Working Together) over 2 years ago

It takes a tad to get granite to ignite Debbie.  That would be among the best back splashes for sinks or cook tops!

Posted by Jay Markanich, Home Inspector - servicing all Northern Virginia (Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC) over 2 years ago

Good morning Jay,

I had to take a peek; looks like a kitchen or restaurant to bypass.

Make yourself an astonishing day.

Posted by Raymond E. Camp, Licensed Real Estate Salesperson Greater Rochester (Howard Hanna Real Estate Services) over 2 years ago

'Tis, Raymond!  This was only one of a zillion turn offs.

And the snow is truly astonishing.

It took three trips, but I finally cut a path through drifts my height so the dog has a way to the bathroom!

I serve the dog.  Resistance is futile.

Posted by Jay Markanich, Home Inspector - servicing all Northern Virginia (Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC) over 2 years ago

Jay Markanich Be nice! We send many of our fully-trained self taught home remodelers from here in Florida to California!

Posted by Sandy Padula and Norm Padula, JD, GRI, Presence, Persistence & Perseverance (Realty National) over 2 years ago

S&N - perhaps they are more attracted to wicked snow falls and are coming here instead?

I don't know - these guys have been here for a long, long time.

Posted by Jay Markanich, Home Inspector - servicing all Northern Virginia (Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC) over 2 years ago

If that fan is on the ceiling... there is likely carbon monoxide... hold your breath!

Posted by Fred Hernden, CMI, Albuquerque area Master Inspector (Superior Home Inspections - Greater Albuquerque Area) over 2 years ago

Hi again, Jay.

I've been gone for a bit, and sure have missed your posts.... why let a perfectly good cavity go to waste? Oh, the things you (we) see in this crazy biz...

Have a great one... stay warm

Posted by Bill Saunders, Realtor®, www.BillSellsHotSprings.com (Meyers Realty) over 2 years ago

I think that is the second time I saw that kitchen fan in the past week.  Yuck.

My dog has the same path.  He's still trying to figure out how to do his business in the snow since grass is nowhere to be found.

Posted by Stephen Weakley (Nationwide Mortgage Services) over 2 years ago

It is amazing what some homeowners come up with.  Luckily they didn't burn the place down!

Posted by Belinda Spillman, Colorado Living! (Aspen Lane Real Estate Colorful Colorado) over 2 years ago

Fred - that fan is one the ceiling.  I didn't smell any CO though. *

Bill - might as well stuff something in there!  Why not something really hot?

Yes, Stephen, that fan has appeared before.  And it is in this very house!

Belinda - for all I know they blow out a flaming counter top every now and then!

* Yes, I know...

Posted by Jay Markanich, Home Inspector - servicing all Northern Virginia (Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC) over 2 years ago

This blog does not allow anonymous comments