What I'm Seeing Now

head_left_image

Making The New Furnace Fit Into The Spot

There were two problems with making the new furnace fit into the spot.

The first was that it was too big to accommodate the exhaust flue!

This exhaust flue was so crushed little holes opened up all over the tubing!  A multiplicity of little holes!

Let's see, what do little holes in a gas furnace exhaust flue cause?

Oh, leaking.

When the unit was operating I could feel the air forcefully blowing out.

That "air" contains carbon monoxide.

There was no CO detector nearby!

This unit had been installed last summer, so this was the first winter it is used.

These people are exposed to real danger here.  Those unprofessional installer jokers need to take care of this!  This is unacceptable, to say the least.

When an unprofessional installer makes one egregious mistake, it is likely more will follow.

And this is another one.

A flexible gas tube cannot enter a gas appliance through a metal cut-out hole that is left unprotected.

Either there must be a solid metal gas tube going into the hole, or the hole has a rubber jacket placed into it to cover the metal and protect the flexible tube.

Neither was done.  It might be that a solid tube was not used simply because there was not enough room to get the joint in there!

Methinks a narrower unit may have been advisable.

My recommendation:  you never know what things a home inspection might reveal.  But often they can reveal a lot!  And in this case the home inspection revealed a serious DANGER to the residents, and purchasers, of this home.  A danger is a big deal.  CO poisoning is a big deal.  It seems we hear the stories every winter of the family that expired due to CO poisoning.  And there was no detector nearby!

 

Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC  

Based in Bristow, serving all of Northern Virginia.

Office (703) 330-6388   Cell (703) 585-7560

www.jaymarinspect.com


Comment balloon 10 commentsJay Markanich • January 12 2016 03:47AM

Comments

Jay Markanich I will bet the owners of this home will have a heck of a time getting those jokers back to fix these issues. So much for 'professional installation included at no charge'!

Posted by Sandy Padula and Norm Padula, JD, GRI, Presence, Persistence & Perseverance (Realty National) almost 3 years ago

The name of the game often seems to be get the job, get in and get out, S&N.  Safety be damned.

Posted by Jay Markanich, Home Inspector - servicing all Northern Virginia (Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC) almost 3 years ago

Good morning Jay. Not exactly a professional job! Enjoy your day!

Posted by Wayne Martin, Real Estate Broker - Retired (Wayne M Martin) almost 3 years ago

This is a huge problem Jay! I can't believe a someone would install that furnace so horribly wrong! 

Posted by Nicole Doty - Gilbert Real Estate Expert, Broker/Owner of Zion Realty ZionRealtyAZ.com (Zion Realty) almost 3 years ago

Dangerously unprofessional Wayne.  Not uncommon around here.

Nicole - on one hand it is unbelievable and on the other not.  Unfortunately I see uncaring work done all the time.  That is the best word - uncaring.

Posted by Jay Markanich, Home Inspector - servicing all Northern Virginia (Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC) almost 3 years ago

I think in Iraq they call this an IED.  Over time, movement from the unit cuts the flexible tubing and the next time it fires up, BOOM!  Probably not a problem though, the occupants have already succumbed carbon monoxide poisoning.

Posted by Stephen Weakley (Nationwide Mortgage Services) almost 3 years ago

Hi Jay - That's a really disturbing mess, and one that would most likely cost the contractor their license if it were caught.

Posted by Dick Greenberg, Northern Colorado Residential Real Estate (New Paradigm Partners LLC) almost 3 years ago

My youngest had two trips to Iraq and is presently on his sixth all-expense-paid trips to Afghanistan.  He was two buildings away from that truck bomb a couple of weeks ago.  This problem is indeed an IED of sorts, Stephen.

It might be Uncle Xtapatl, Dick!

Notice how I picked a name with no immediate heritage tag?

Posted by Jay Markanich, Home Inspector - servicing all Northern Virginia (Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC) almost 3 years ago

I don't know how I missed this one but... Methinks a narrower unit may have been advisable.

Posted by Fred Hernden, CMI, Albuquerque area Master Inspector (Superior Home Inspections - Greater Albuquerque Area) almost 3 years ago

Methinks I agree, Musketeer.

Posted by Jay Markanich, Home Inspector - servicing all Northern Virginia (Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC) almost 3 years ago

This blog does not allow anonymous comments