There were two problems with making the new furnace fit into the spot.
The first was that it was too big to accommodate the exhaust flue!
This exhaust flue was so crushed little holes opened up all over the tubing! A multiplicity of little holes!
Let's see, what do little holes in a gas furnace exhaust flue cause?
When the unit was operating I could feel the air forcefully blowing out.
That "air" contains carbon monoxide.
There was no CO detector nearby!
This unit had been installed last summer, so this was the first winter it is used.
These people are exposed to real danger here. Those unprofessional installer jokers need to take care of this! This is unacceptable, to say the least.
When an unprofessional installer makes one egregious mistake, it is likely more will follow.
And this is another one.
A flexible gas tube cannot enter a gas appliance through a metal cut-out hole that is left unprotected.
Either there must be a solid metal gas tube going into the hole, or the hole has a rubber jacket placed into it to cover the metal and protect the flexible tube.
Neither was done. It might be that a solid tube was not used simply because there was not enough room to get the joint in there!
Methinks a narrower unit may have been advisable.
My recommendation: you never know what things a home inspection might reveal. But often they can reveal a lot! And in this case the home inspection revealed a serious DANGER to the residents, and purchasers, of this home. A danger is a big deal. CO poisoning is a big deal. It seems we hear the stories every winter of the family that expired due to CO poisoning. And there was no detector nearby!
Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC
Based in Bristow, serving all of Northern Virginia.
Office (703) 330-6388 Cell (703) 585-7560