At my house we get freezer burn from time to time on our stored foods, no matter how well we wrap them.
Once I had a wart burned off with liquid nitrogen by freezing it. The doctor said that this process would essentially burn it off, and as it defrosted it would feel like a burn. He was right.
When we got to this house to do the inspection the fridge and freezer doors were open.
Looking inside this is what we saw.
Something had overheated to the point of melting the plastic insides!
The unit was still plugged in, so I immediately unplugged it. The unit was off. It remained unplugged when we left.
What could have caused this?
I have never seen it before and don't know.
The door seal was damaged on the refrigerator door.
Did that cause the motor to run continuously, and burn itself up? Who knows! But this is a clear case of freezer burn!
My recommendation: so often home inspectors run into things they have not seen before. While many times it is not known what cause the anomaly, it makes for an interesting business to say the least! Have you seen this before?
Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC
Based in Bristow, serving all of Northern Virginia.
Office (703) 330-6388 Cell (703) 585-7560