You know it's going to be a fun inspection when ...
The first thing you see is not quite correct!
So, did the boys cut and install a floor register that is too big?
Or, did the boys simply buy and install the wrong sized register covers?
How about a quiz?
Pick any that might apply:
1. This is an upgrade. It's a laundry chute for GI Joe or Barbi & Ken clothing.
2. There is nothing amiss here. Keep going about your inspection. Everything is fine. (Jedi mind trick)
3. The register cover is made to slide left and right depending on the season and desired air flow.
4. It is the new RESNET and LEEDS register cover, and if all goes to plan these will be installed in all green homes from here on. This is the test house.
5. The supervisor says its correct but will check his literature nonetheless.
6. The proper covers are on order and will be here next Tuesday. Even though the builder knew the inspection was today, gosh, good golly, they were so darn busy they didn't get around to ordering them until just this morning! Silly them! They just wanted something to cover the slots for safety reasons, so they slipped these into place. They are always thinking about their buyers, you know!
7. None of the above.
8. All of the above.
The builder desperately wants everyone to think that 6 is the right answer. Reading body language, facial expressions, fumbling sentence structure and general nervousness, I'm pretty sure nobody knew the covers were wrong until that morning when they went to put them in place. So 7 is the correct answer.
Personally I'm going with 1. Is that a cool upgrade or what?! I should ask how much it was ... (thinking ahead to my next new house)
My recommendation: you have already met this house many times, pre-drywall and during this "final" walk through. Don't ever, ever, ever, skip a home inspection on new construction! If you even think you might, call me and I will calmly talk you back off the ledge.
Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC
Based in Bristow, serving all of Northern Virginia.
Office (703) 330-6388 Cell (703) 585-7560