This is one of six windows in this basement wall. The client decided he wants to finish the basement himself. He wants to do certain things and he thought the builder was charging too much to do them. So the basement is left unfinished by the builder for a future time when the buyer will finish it himself.
Fair enough. Of the six windows, one is partially blocked by plumbing, one is not even close to level and they ALL look like this. This is schmuck work. I really, really dislike schmuck work.
What's my beef?
- Mud on all six windows. Will it be cleaned off? Am I confident it will be cleaned off? No...
- The windows all appear to be stuck in place with mortar, all around.
- That mortar is SLOPPED all over the framing. Insulation is yet to be installed. When this basement is framed, drywall will have to abut right up to that window. For this to happen all that sloppy mortar will have to be chinked off to accommodate it. Such mortar removal may damage the window. Or more than one.
- The mortar on the bottom is right to the edge of where the window will move if opened. And that security contact would be broken or popped off!
- The people building this house, all of them involved, think that this is alright.
You know darn well that if the builder was finishing the basement he would not leave himself all that additional work. And you KNOW that if the builder was building this house for himself NONE of the windows would look like this. They would all be cleanly installed, level, and the framing when done would easily fit drywall to where it will need to go.
If you were building this house yourself, FOR YOURSELF, would you do this TO YOURSELF? Of course not.
Is this builder/supervisor/subcontractor practicing the Golden Rule? And why not!?
I ask this question seriously. Why not?
WOULDN'T LIFE BE A REALLY NEAT PLACE IF EVERYONE ACTIVELY PRACTICED THE GOLDEN RULE?
My recommendation: don't let builders get away with schmuck work, in any context. Make certain things are done properly and in a professional manner. And when they are not, be QUICK to point it out.
Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC
Based in Bristow, serving all of Northern Virginia.
Office (703) 330-6388 Cell (703) 585-7560