What I'm Seeing Now

head_left_image

The Same "Remodeled" Kitchen - ANOTHER Wiring Disaster!!

Yes, it's the same, "Must see!", wonderfully "remodeled" kitchen.

This time it's the opposite side.

This view looks behind the new range and exhaust hood combo.

The white hole on the left is behind the new exhaust hood.  Apparently some Romex cable was dissected and its guts removed.  Those guts were used to connect the exhaust hood to electrical as three individual wires.  I was unable to determine where the yellow cable came from.  For all I know, it came from the light fixture in the bathroom above the kitchen!

But, hey!  AT LEAST ITS GROUNDED!!  And wire nuts!

That black cable services the range.  It comes through the ceiling inside the wall.  I found it in the bathroom closet above, exposed, running through each shelf.  From there it goes into the attic, across the house, to the opposite side.  It then goes down through bedroom walls, to the furnace room, and across the ceiling and into the panel box. 

It is connected to the old range breaker.  Many manufacturers now require that new breakers be installed with their new appliances or they will not honor the warranty.

The black cable goes down to the right, through a small hole in the wall and connects to the range outlet.  That outlet is on the floor, connected to nothing (it should be secured into a stud on the wall) and the range plug was upside down.  There was no anti tip on the range.

BEST OF ALL - see the curtain on the left?  This is in a "bedroom" closet fashioned behind the kitchen.  This house had 8 wonderful bedrooms.  In the back of that closet was a shelf, and behind the shelf that curtain.  I looked because I could see the cable coming through the wall behind the range and wanted to see its source.

My recommendation:  Don't listen to the wizard.  Pay close attention to the man behind the curtain!

Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC  

Based in Bristow, serving all of Northern Virginia.

Office (703) 330-6388   Cell (703) 585-7560

www.jaymarinspect.com


Comment balloon 10 commentsJay Markanich • July 28 2009 07:24PM

Comments

LOL, WOW that sounds like a disaster and either an electrician who has no idea what they are doing and a homeowner who things dealing with electrical is a piece of cake.  Those are the home that mysteriously burn down due to faulty wiring. :)

Chanda panda

Posted by Chanda Barrick, in referral (Keller Williams Indy Metro Northeast) about 11 years ago

LOL..... Save a buck, do it yourself, and burn down the house......  Why get it inspected?  LMAO

Posted by Kenneth Young (Uni International LLC) about 11 years ago

Jay - It never amazes me the things that people do. That just looks like it is sitting there waiting for something to happen.

Posted by Robert Schwabe, Orange Park Real Estate (EXP Realty) about 11 years ago

Chanda - the homeowner scenario is probably the more correct, and I would guess Uncle Paco came over to "help."

Kenneth - each buck saved costs someone else more than a buck to fix!

Robert - it is waiting for an overload.  The outlet to the right of the range was scorched terribly.   Hmmm....

Posted by Jay Markanich, Home Inspector - servicing all Northern Virginia (Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC) about 11 years ago

Jay,

You are just too critical. As they say -- no sparks, no problem.

Posted by Steven L. Smith, Bellingham WA Home Inspector (King of the House Home Inspection, Inc.) about 11 years ago

Steve - I rubbed a little dirt on it, but it didn't feel better.

Posted by Jay Markanich, Home Inspector - servicing all Northern Virginia (Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC) about 11 years ago

Auntie Em it's a fire! I would think running the wire that long would also be a problem.

Posted by James Quarello, Connecticut Home Inspector (JRV Home Inspection Services, LLC) about 11 years ago

James - I am ALWAYS frightened by what I cannot see and do not know...

Posted by Jay Markanich, Home Inspector - servicing all Northern Virginia (Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC) about 11 years ago

Hey Sparky....see all the money they saved on an electrician ? 

Posted by Sally K. & David L. Hanson, WI Real Estate Agents - Luxury - Divorce (EXP Realty 414-525-0563) almost 11 years ago

That they did guys.  But wow, the dangers I found in that house!  You see only one or two things.  The house was full of unprofessional disasters.

Posted by Jay Markanich, Home Inspector - servicing all Northern Virginia (Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC) almost 11 years ago

This blog does not allow anonymous comments